Moonshot edVentures is trying to solve three connected problems:
- An Industrial-Era School System in the 21st Century: Schools need to be redesigned if we are to prepare all students for the future.
- Underdeveloped Talent Pipeline: The pipeline of leaders, particularly those of color, with access to the capital and technical assistance to start excellent schools is underdeveloped.
- Insufficient Leadership That Mirrors Communities Served: The current set of school founders rarely mirror the communities they are trying to serve.
What are schools of tomorrow?
Moonshot is model agnostic, and we want our fellows to define their own vision and set of principles; however, we believe the schools of tomorrow must embody the following elements:
- Student ownership and agency
- Push for outcomes including and beyond academics
- Co-creation among teachers, students, and families
- Personalized and deeper learning
- A place where people want to work